skate-aid is a non-profit organization (NGO) from Germany, that provides extensive child and youth Services through the pedagogical power of skateboarding. Since it was founded in 2009 by skateboard pioneer Titus Dittmann, skate-aid has implemented projects for disadvantaged kids and teenagers worldwide. In our projects we build skate parks in countries like Uganda, Namibia, Rwanda and Palestine and recently opened our newest skate park in Damascus/Syria in cooperation with the SOS Children's Villages. Especially in areas where social abuses and difficult living conditions prevail, we support kids in their development and encourage self-determined learning and intrinsic motivation. In addition, we offer orientation aid, contribute to gender equality and enable an increase in self-esteem, community awareness, personal responsibility and determination. The skate parks and the skateboard are the necessary tools to provide sustainable support through our workshops. The kids learn to get up after falling down. This strengthens their personality and takes away their fear of facing new challenges later in life. That’s our mission: we empower kids!
In particular, the following measures enable skate-aid to carry out its mission in the projects every day and thus providing genuine socialization-, prevention- and peace work:
- Construction and maintenance of skate parks as safe pedagogical socialization rooms with free access and support as well as structured leisure activities for kids and teenagers regardless of age, religion, skin color, social class and gender
- Participatory involvement of kids and teenagers in all activities promoting cognitive and social skills
- Carrying out free skateboard lessons (workshops) to promote self-determined personality development, resilience, integration and inclusion
- Free provision of skateboards, accessories and safety gear
- Implementation and promotion of national and international sporting events
- Implementation and promotion of youth exchange programs for the purpose of reducing cultural barriers and prejudices
- Carrying out special continuing education workshops for kids and teenagers on sensitive topics such as racism, drug abuse, environmental pollution, discrimination or AIDS
- Conducting projects and actions that support young people, promote their individual and social development, provide them with life and guidance and open new perspectives to them
Our mission is successful when we help kids and teenagers on their way to adulthood, becoming self-confident, enlightened, creative, enthusiastic, committed, courageous, persevering, frustration-tolerant and active individuals in their society. Especially where adverse living conditions such as war and conflict, poverty, racism and much more can endanger their positive development.
We’re working on it. Our Mission: We empower kids!