As a Design Lead, you’ll primarily be responsible for mentoring a team of designers. These designers perform research, sketch and explore solutions, and solve problems for our merchants. They're responsible for collaborating with the content team, research team, product managers and engineers to ensure the quality of their design work is of the highest standard. Your role is to support and guide them through this process, and over time help them grow in their careers.
It's important to us that our leads stay close to the products we build—we value those who can “walk the walk”. You’ll be spending time hands on with the work, helping to solve difficult problems and utilizing your experience and skill in design to ensure our products are truly world-class.
You'll be working on
- Leading a growing and ever-changing design team
- Helping to mentor and lead individuals through a fast-moving landscape while also providing growth opportunities
- Evaluating and providing supportive and constructive feedback to your reports
- Constantly pushing the bar for design quality within the team
- Setting the direction and vision for the projects you are involved with
- Contributing to the culture and discipline of design at Shopify
You'll need to have
- Experience directly managing a small team of designers, including identifying the right expertise needed, assigning resources, recruiting new members and helping them grow
- Passion for solving design problems while wearing multiple hats and owning all facets of design (strategy, IA, art direction and interaction design)
- Demonstrable experience as an interactive product designer on web and mobile
- Proficiency with either Photoshop or Sketch, prototyping tools, as well as a good understanding of HTML and CSS
- An ability to collaborate well with developers, user researchers, copywriters and other disciplines—at Shopify designers are responsible not only for the deliverables, but also ensuring that our ideas are carried through the process. We consider something finished once it’s shipped to our users.
If you're interested in this , please fill in your info below, and include a link to your portfolio/Dribbble/Behance in the links section. Please make out your cover letter to Sophia!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
How to apply
Please apply for the position Design Lead through our application form