Firefox Security Student Worker (Werkstudent)
Mozilla is hiring a Firefox Security Student Worker (Werkstudent) into our Security Engineering team. Our headquarters are based in Mountain View, but this position will be located in Berlin, Germany.
Mozilla isn’t just a great place to work, it’s an experience you’ll carry with you throughout your career. As part of our German Student Worker program, you’ll have the opportunity to be mentored one-on-one by a talented and experienced engineer, to impact the projects you’ll collaborate on, and to never be bored. Ever. From the passionate people you’ll learn from, to the chances you’ll have to make the Web a better place, your time with Mozilla will be unlike any other.
- Team: Security Engineering
- Mentor: Steven Englehardt, Nihanth Subramanya
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Tentative Start Date: Immediately (1. September 2019)
- Duration: 1 year
The Firefox Privacy & Security Engineering team builds and maintains Firefox features & services to protect the security & privacy of Firefox users. Core to that effort is Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP) -- i.e., cookie blocking, tracker blocking, fingerprinting blocking, and cryptomining blocking -- which blocks services from tracking users around the web and wasting their resources.
ETP relies entirely on blocklists to identify the trackers, fingerprinters, and cryptominers that Firefox should block. These lists are curated in partnership with Disconnect, whereby the Security Engineering team prepares lists of domains that appear to participate in these practices, and Disconnect completes a manual review and verification procedure before adding the flagged domains to their blocklist. We discover unblocked domains using Mozilla’s OpenWPM web crawler, and submit those domains for review by Disconnect.
In this role, you will perform foundational work on the OpenWPM web crawler and crawl deployment infrastructure. These efforts will allow us to perform larger and more regular measurements with richer instrumentation. You will help us to improve the security of Firefox and the web in general. Your work will directly improve the privacy of millions of users.
We offer flexible working hours and competitive compensation depending on the number of hours. You will be able to participate in our office life, including daily catered lunches and various social activities.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree program in a university in or around Berlin in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline with a focus on security, privacy, or software development
- Available to come to our offices during regular working hours depending on your class schedule
- Basic knowledge of core web technologies and browser extension interfaces. Knowledge of web security and web privacy concepts is a plus
- Speak English fluently and enjoy conducting software engineering work in the open
- Preference will be given to candidates that have experience working with cloud infrastructure technologies (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes) and/or those who have had past web crawling experience
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.