As a Happiness Engineer, helping people is your passion. Maybe you’ve developed your own support philosophy by reading books like Delivering Happiness or Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit. Perhaps you’re a contributor in an online support community such as the WordPress.com forums or WordPress.org forums.
Transforming publishing on the web is no small task. Our goal is to build relationships based on trust which result in happy, passionate, loyal customers and colleagues. We do this through listening to their needs and guiding them to the fullest use of the products we offer. We are looking for people with the right mix of compassion, writing skills, and technical knowledge to get the job done.
In general, a typical day involves
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Gravatar, and more
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports
- Crafting and editing helpful support documentation
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and insight amongst team members around the world
- Being an active member of a global team that provides 24/7 support to our users via live chat, forums, and email
Being a Happiness Engineer requires
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Working knowledge of WordPress, HTML, and CSS
- A knack for taking technical language and making it understandable
- A passion for solving tough problems and proposing elegant solutions
- An understanding of the 24/7 nature of support and a can-do attitude to help with weekend, holiday, and/or evening coverage*
*Fear not! We understand that some folks are able to have more flexible schedules than others and we strongly support being able to craft schedules that help you take care of your own needs, as well.
Happiness Engineers should be fluent and eloquent in written English. If you know additional languages, be sure to tell us.
The WordPress.com and WordPress.org forums are fantastic places to gain the experience required for this position. If you are already active there, let us know! Send a link to your forum profile and we’ll check it out.
All jobs require
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast, who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow? Flexibility is key.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send an email to jobs(at)automattic(dot)com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please address the following points in your email application:
- Tell us what books you’ve read about customer service and what you thought of them.
- Have you been part of an amazing customer support experience? Tell us what made it memorable.
- What online support communities have you contributed to? Link us to your profile there.
- Are you driven to achieve? Tell us about an accomplishment in your life that you’re proud of.
- Schedules at Automattic are flexible and support is an around-the-clock endeavor. Are you a night owl or weekend warrior? Do you prefer to work non-traditional times or outside of US business hours? If so, let us know.