Learn how to set the text in your design projects beautifully accessible, making it reach and convince more people, while meeting legal requirements.
Great typography meets accessibility
Typography is fundamental to web and UI design, but with its many rules and conventions it can often be overwhelming. Web Accessibility is a common requirement, but the guidelines can feel very complicated and fuzzy, when it comes to visual design. This workshop combines both topics in a way visual designers can understand and apply them. Instead of thinking of it as a hurdle or limitation, learn to see accessibility requirements as another source of inspiration.
This Workshop Covers …
- Which WCAG requirements (success criteria) matter for visual design.
- How to assess if a typeface is accessible.
- Which contrast requirements are crucial.
- What are the best font sizes.
- The ideal line length, line height and letter spacing.
- Suggestions of handy tools, plugins and resources.
- Short exercises, letting you apply what you just learned, right away.
- If you want to, bring your own project and get feedback.
You Will Get Answers to Questions Like …
- What’s the required minimum font size?
- Should you mainly use sans-serif fonts?
- Should you design for AA or AAA?
- Do all of your links need to be underlined?
- What’s the difference between active and focus states?
- Are darkmode or high contrast themes needed?
- Is it required to have a minimum line-height of 1.5?
- Are Comic Sans or Open Dsylexic (😱) best for dyslexic readers?
For Whom This Workshop Is
This workshop is specifically aimed towards visual designers, UI, app, or graphic designers – however you wanna call yourself 😉. It will not be technical, so not about HTML elements or providing alt tags. It is a deep dive into typography, not accessible web design in general. The goal of the workshop is taking the weight out of an often overwhelming and fuzzy topic, and breaking it down into practical, usable steps.
What You’ll Need
Your own computer and a free Figma account for doing the exercises.
Still Need More Information?
Well, then let Oliver explain …
When and Where Is the Workshop Taking Place?
On Sunday, May 12th, from 10am (10:00) to 5pm (17:00). Venue TBA as soon as possible.
Register for this Workshop
Ticket prices including 19% German VAT and booking fees.