This practical workshop will give you the tools to improve the typography in your future web projects. Among other things it will cover:
- Basic guidelines for good typography on the web
- How to best choose and combine web fonts
- Harmonic measurements — what font size, line length and line height work best
- Text hierarchy, text formatting and emphasis
- An introduction to Variable Fonts and how to use them today
During the Workshop
After a general introduction, you will develop your own project under close guidance and go through a series of exercises. I will provide instructions, support and practical feedback to help whenever you get stuck. At the end of the day we will discuss the results together as a group.
After This Workshop You Will
- Have a better understanding of good digital typography and how to apply it on the web
- Have more confidence when choosing and combining typefaces
- Know what font sizes, line heights and column widths work best in responsive web design
- Know how to create engaging and distinctive typography
- Be able to integrate Variable Fonts in your CSS and control them by using dynamic axes
- Be able to better collaborate with designers and developers when it comes to typographic decisions
- Be able to see all the typographic misuse on the web and have a hard time from now on ;-)
This Workshop Is For
Developers who often have to close the gap between design and code. They know very little about this subject. After the workshop they will start seeing visual differences and better understand the typographic settings in CSS and their impact.
Designers who know about typography but don’t necessarily know about most current technical possibilities. They will learn about opportunities to improve their designs and have more influence on the result.
All-rounders who work in design and front-end development and want to deepen their typographic knowledge.
What You’ll Need
- A basic understanding of HTML and CSS (beginner level)
- You own laptop computer with Google Chrome installed
- A CodePen Account (free of charge, only required for the time of the workshop)
When and Where Is the Workshop Taking Place?
On Monday, November 5th, from 10am (10:00) to 5pm (17:00) at the Neue Mälzerei, Friedenstraße 91, 10249 Berlin.