- What a Web App Manifest is, how it can be used to make our sites installable, and how to use it to control the installed experience
- Service Workers as a way to control network requests and caching
- Pre-caching assets
- Several next-gen APIs—e.g., Share—that tie them more deeply into the underlying operating system
- Where the web is heading in terms of gaining access to more native features
During the Workshop
Together, we’ll build a PWA from the ground up. Following along, you’ll create a Web App Manifest for your own site (or the demo site, if you prefer). You’ll also build a Service Worker from scratch or assemble one from some recipes I’ll provide. You’ll walk away with a working PWA you can deploy at the end of the day or when you get back to your home or office.
After This Workshop You Will
- Understand what PWAs are and how they can be applied to a variety of website types
- Know what is technically required to build a PWA (and, perhaps more importantly, what isn’t)
- Be able to create a Web App Manifest form scratch
- Understand the Service Worker lifecycle
- Be able to pre-cache important assets when a Service Worker is installed
- Understand the different approaches to caching and network access in order to choose the most appropriate approach for the various assets and APIs your website will need to access
This Workshop Is For
Front end designers and developers who want to get a better grasp on what Progressive Web Apps are, how they can improve user experience, and how to build them. They will walk away from this workshop able to not only build a PWA, but knowing how to evaluate the different approaches and make informed decisions about how to implement these new technologies.
What You’ll Need
- You own laptop with a modern browser (or three) installed
- A code editor
- A GitHub account
- A local web server (like MAMP or similar) OR a Netlify account (free of charge, only required for the time of the workshop)
When and Where Is the Workshop Taking Place?
On Wednesday, November 13th, from 10am (10:00) to 5pm (17:00) at the Holiday Inn Berlin City East Side, Wanda-Kallenbach-Straße 2, 10243 Berlin